Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Power Outages Likely By The Storm, Don't you love ODP?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member imported_JLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2004
    Posts
    147
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Power Outages Likely By The Storm, Don't you love ODP?

    Isn't that great? More of the "We can't discuss why your service has not been retsored." Then who can forget that famous ODP line. "We are working as quickly and as safely as possible." I think I've got one that they won't say that is a fact. "Oh, yeah, your power will be off for another week and a half, and we're going to raise your bill from 700 dollars to 1,000 dollars for useage during this outage, thank you for calling!" I more and more start not be able to stand big corporations. I know it is hard to ensure service during huge storms like this, but I do not respect them for what they did to people in December.

    If everybodies power bill goes up 100 dollars, they're are 20,712 people under KU/ODP, thats what I read in the coalfield I believe. That means 2,000,000 dollars a month ODP is pulling out of the economy, and if outages are any indication of the future, look for them to stiff you again. I don't have an idea what the SCC has done gto them or even when they are hearing the case. But i know if they let them get by with these things it's swinging the door wide open for the future to let them do as they please.

    I know this rant isn't really justified and iI'm sure it's went off topic but I could say alot more, I'm going to shut up though.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2003
    Posts
    1,914
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Power Outages Likely By The Storm, Don't you love ODP?

    Quote Originally Posted by imported_JLR View Post
    Isn't that great? More of the "We can't discuss why your service has not been retsored." Then who can forget that famous ODP line. "We are working as quickly and as safely as possible." I think I've got one that they won't say that is a fact. "Oh, yeah, your power will be off for another week and a half, and we're going to raise your bill from 700 dollars to 1,000 dollars for useage during this outage, thank you for calling!" I more and more start not be able to stand big corporations. I know it is hard to ensure service during huge storms like this, but I do not respect them for what they did to people in December.

    If everybodies power bill goes up 100 dollars, they're are 20,712 people under KU/ODP, thats what I read in the coalfield I believe. That means 2,000,000 dollars a month ODP is pulling out of the economy, and if outages are any indication of the future, look for them to stiff you again. I don't have an idea what the SCC has done gto them or even when they are hearing the case. But i know if they let them get by with these things it's swinging the door wide open for the future to let them do as they please.
    I know this rant isn't really justified and iI'm sure it's went off topic but I could say alot more, I'm going to shut up though.
    funny how a month ago most of the people on here were talking to me like i was crazy and that i shouldnt be complaining about my bill.
    Cant we all just get along?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member simple man's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Power Outages Likely By The Storm, Don't you love ODP?

    Reminds me of gas going to 4 bucks a gallon - in the middle of a war started by us . But unless we want to pay to cut the right-of-way under the lines more often, then I don't see the outages getting better. Some of the ODP-KU guys worked 20-30 hour shifts till they got more crews in the area and finally faced the fact that there was so much damage they couldn't fix it all without some rest. I really didn't like being without power, but if that is the best we have, that is the best we have.
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

  4. #4
    Inactive Member burton2019's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2004
    Posts
    7,723
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Power Outages Likely By The Storm, Don't you love ODP?

    when theres a foot of snow coming what more do you all expect?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member simple man's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Power Outages Likely By The Storm, Don't you love ODP?

    If we are gonna be out of power up this hollow- make it Sunday night. I'll just stay home from work then.:snickerpup:
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Power Outages Likely By The Storm, Don't you love ODP?

    30 / 40 years ago I don't remember ever having an outage of any length, and the snowfall was much greater then.

    There have to be reasons?

    Some guesses:
    1. No longer have the amount of service personnel in the area as when it really was ODP.
    2. No longer keep the trees from around the lines.
    3. Using inferior timber for poles. Good timber is about gone.
    4. Inferior trees near the lines. Seriously. The older timber would have been much stronger than the junk timber that is planted in reclamation and such today.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member beamer_ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    2,840
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Power Outages Likely By The Storm, Don't you love ODP?

    Quote Originally Posted by burton2019 View Post
    when theres a foot of snow coming what more do you all expect?
    Miracles apparently...

  8. #8
    Inactive Member imported_JLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2004
    Posts
    147
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Power Outages Likely By The Storm, Don't you love ODP?

    ODP is better than AEP, and they did do a good job of getting the power back on at the time, all of you guys are correct. But the bills they are giving people when some of them were without power for so long is ruthless. My little brother's principal said that he was without power for 21 days, he had a 700 dollar electric bill to pay for Jan. A friend of my Mom's is on fixed income, her power was out for about two weeks. She had a 500 dollar light bill. All I'm saying is it is hard to justify this, and don't try to because you can't. and for the guy that was asking what I meant I guess. If you charge 100 dollars more on the bill to every KU/ODP customer. According to the Coalfield, that is around twenty thousand people. That is 2 million dollars give or take that you are pulling out of the U.S. Economy. That's what I was trying to say. If i'm right or wrong it doesn't matter. I'm thankful for my energy, and I'm thanful for the people that had to work through Christmas, what I'm not thankful for is how they are sticking it to people with high electric bills that they have NO REASON for.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2003
    Posts
    1,914
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Power Outages Likely By The Storm, Don't you love ODP?

    Quote Originally Posted by burton2019 View Post
    when theres a foot of snow coming what more do you all expect?
    i expect the preventative measures these men/women who make 35-40 dollars an hour should be doing. Cutting trees to prevent falls on lines, etc...

    i remember almost every year when i was younger there would be crews either ODP or a contractor up in inman clearing trees off lines, you never see that any more.
    Cant we all just get along?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Big_AL's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2002
    Posts
    767
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Power Outages Likely By The Storm, Don't you love ODP?

    they are trees left form the last snow that is almost ready to fall near power lines. but the only way they will fall is if the snow we are getting right now is another wet snow. Wet snow is heaver and the is why we lost power around here. It is not odp's fault. it was the wet heavy snow. I am thankfull for odp. I am also thankfull for all those men who came and left there family during the Christmas holiday's. I want you to think on this question. Would you have left your children and your wife and families and came here to help total strangers just to help put power back in our homes? Think on it. I dont think most would have. I pray the power stays on for everyone. Stay warm and becareful if you have to get out. If you dont have to get out dont. i know for a fact the last big snow norton fire dept and police dept worked over 250 wrecks. so please be careful sorry i got on my soap box i usually dont say nothing but i now about all the men who work for odp and trust me there fine people they do the best with what the got to work with.
    "Take em one at a time and everything else will take care of itself"...Ole Tob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •